3.05.2009

Decisions, decisions. . .

This is going to be a long one so be patient :) . . . So today I went on two more interviews and I must say they went SO much better than the very first one I had last week. They were both at Baptist South in Montgomery and they went VERY well!!

The first one today was for Pediatrics and the other was in the Emergency room. Like I said before, I just have never really thought about doing anything other than labor and delivery, but after today's interviews that may have all changed and not for the reasons you may think.

My first interview was at 1pm and since it is a big hospital I decided to get there early. I got there (early like I said) and the nurse manager was not back from lunch yet so I was asked to wait in the "play room." I took one look at the little 2 year old size chairs and decided to stand outside the play room instead. After all I was wearing a dress. haha. In the time I was standing there, about 5 nurses came up to me and asked if I had already been helped. That alone was impressive to me! The woman interviewing me for the pediatrics position was your typical peds manager. Very bubbly, talkative, approachable, and so kind! She wanted to know EVERYTHING about me! She asked me almost everything about being in the military, when I was married, where I see myself in 5 years, and why peds? After this, she told me everything that I could have ever wanted to know about the unit and more. I can tell you that I was incredibly impressed, not just with the unit, but with her and her staff as well. She then gave me the tour of the unit and talked to me the whole time. It was just so different from the very first interview that I had. It actually felt like she wanted me to be a part of her unit and not just a person to fill an open position. Then after 50 minutes, when the interview was over, she actually walked me down to the Emergency room and introduced me to my second interviewer! How amazing is that!

The emergency room nurse manager was just as great as the peds nurse manager. She told me that as soon as she spoke with me yesterday on the phone she could see my smile and knew right there and then that I was going to be just what she wanted for her unit. Then she said "So tell me about Lynda?" haha. I loved that. After I told her about me, she told me about the unit and the staff and actually referred to the unit as a "family." That was really nice to hear too. She also gave me a tour of the unit and almost everyone of the staff members said hello to me. Again, so different than the very first interview I went on! Then she told me that she was going to put in the recommendation for hire to the nursing recruiters as soon as possible because she knew I was looking at other areas of the hospital and she really wanted me to come work for her. I have not received an offer yet, but do anticipate one very soon.

As soon as I get home the phone rings and it is the nurse recruiter with job offers! She offered me the L&D position at Baptist East that I interviewed for last week and the Pediatrics position at Baptist South. I told her that I was really not ready to make a decision yet and would still like to go on some more interviews so she said that I can just let her know in a week where I stand. :)

Now, for my dilemma . . . Like I said before, again, and again . . . I have ALWAYS pictured myself working as a labor and delivery nurse, but after comparing the interviews I had today to the one in L&D last week, there really is no comparison. I want to work somewhere where I feel wanted and I just did not feel that there. The nurse manager in L&D really turned me off from wanting to work on her unit and that really is sad, because I only met with her one time and maybe she was just having a bad day that day, but still . . . first impressions are everything! I know a few people who work there and I think I have already picked their brains for just about everything L&D related, but I would still really like to talk to them and see how she is on more of an everyday basis before I completely rule this out. My heart is very torn right now for what to do. She definitely did not turn me off of L&D by any means. If I do not do L&D soon, I will one day. . . after all it is my dream job! :)

Thanks for reading! Pray that I can make a decision soon! Also please pray for me because I take my NCLEX on March 12...NEXT WEEK! Agghhh! lol

xoxo
Lynda

1 comment:

  1. Email me on facebook if you want to know more about L&D...of course I would completely understood if you chose somewhere else...but I will be happy to answer any questions!

    ReplyDelete